I have started to use JDeveloper 11g and ADF for one of my enterprise level project. I didn't use any part of ADF before. Its now one month and i want to share with world what i found in ADF with JDeveloper 11g.
- It is based on MVC pattern and cleanly separates your business logic from presentation layer.
- It has built in support for AJAX
- Very rapid development because most of the development one can do declaratively by just drag and drop components on pages and like that
- Most important and exciting feature from me was very good support of LOV. LOV is required in almost every business application and with ADF i don't have to do any code for LOV just a query and some very small configurations and that's it.
- Rich Tables supporting LOV, combo box and others.
- It provides good hooks to develop own framework or utility classes to suit development e.g. I want to extend all entities from my own class and i can do it very easily.
- One of the unique feature of ADF 11g is ADF Task flow which faciliates developer to define reusable navigation and avoid cluttering of all navigation rules in one file which happens in JSF
Now we discuss cons of ADF and JDeveloper 11g
- JDeveloper is buggy and crashes many times espeically when one does refactoring or deleting some resources
- You will have to spend good time to learn ADF if you didn't have prior experience with Oracle technologies
- Query component in ADF Faces which is used to build criteria does not have option to change the layout of fields like grouping etc.
- LOV which are generated are also buggy. I am still facing one problem and no one still gave me solution for that.
- You will have to do lot of hit and trials to understand the behaviour of layout components